MONDAY~ Tossed Green salad, Baked Ziti, Garlic Cheese Biscuits
TUESDAY~ Grilled Tuna Steaks, brown rice primavera, steamed buttered broccoli
WEDNESDAY~ Chicken & Noodles, Homemade bread or cornbread
THURSDAY~ Veggie Chili Beans, Crackers, Fresh Fruit or Fruit Cocktail
FRIDAY~ Butter Burgers, green beans, Baked Potatoes
SATURDAY~ Chicken Salad sandwiches, Veggie Chips, sliced apples
SUNDAY~Italian Roast,Mashed Potato, Sour Cream and Chive Gratin, field peas with snaps
DESSERT OF THE WEEK~ Chocolate Chip Pecan Squares
CHOCOLATE CHIP PECAN SQUARES
1/2 c Butter Flavor Crisco
1/2 c Brown Sugar, firmly packed
1 tb Milk
1 t Vanilla
3/4 c Flour, all purpose
1 pk Milk Chocolate chips 11 1/2 ounces, divided
3/4 c Pecans, chopped, divided
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Bake Time: 25 to 30 Minutes
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease a 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan with Butter Flavor Crisco. Set aside. 2. Cream Butter Flavor Crsco, brown sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in large bowl at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Reduce speed to low. Add flour. Stir in one cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup nuts. Spread in pan. 3. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with one cup chocolate chips. Wait 5 minutes, or until chips soften. Spread evenly. Sprinkle with other 1/4 cup nuts. Cool Completely. Cut into 2x2 inch squares. Makes 16 squares.
- BAKED ZITI
- 12 ounces ziti (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 26-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1 bunch spinach, thick stems removed (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella (4 ounces)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain it and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the beef, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon until it’s no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Toss the pasta with the meat mixture, marinara sauce, spinach, ricotta, and ¼ cup of the Parmesan.
- Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or 4 large ramekins. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and the remaining ¼ cup of the Parmesan. Bake until the cheese melts, 12 to 15 minutes.
1/2 C. cold water
3/4 C. grated, sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 C. butter
1 tsp. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
GRILLED TUNA STEAK
Yield: 6 servings
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
2 pounds yellowfin tuna steaks, fresh or frozen, cut into 6 pieces
Combine all ingredients except tuna and paprika. Baste fish with sauce and sprinkle with paprika. Grill tuna about 4 inches from moderately hot coals for 5-6 minutes. Turn, baste with sauce, and sprinkle with paprika; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until tuna has a slightly pink center.
Brown Rice Primavera
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled dried basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 carrot, peeled, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small yellow squash, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
BRING water to a boil in medium saucepan on medium heat.ADD rice, salt, basil and black pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 40 to 45 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.HEAT oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add carrot, red pepper, yellow squash, zucchini and green onions. Cook and stir 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.TRANSFER rice to serving bowl. Add vegetables; toss to combine. Serve immediately.
CHICKEN AND NOODLES
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
3 chicken bouillon cubes
salt and pepper
16 oz. egg noodles
In 5 qt. combine chicken, carrots, celery, salt and pepper, and bouillon cubes. Add water until it is 2 inches from rim.
Heat on high until boiling, lower heat, let simmer for 1 hour, adding water as necessary.
Remove chicken and when it is cool enough, tear into chunks. Add back to pot and bring back to a boil, add noodles and cook for 10 minutes. Make sure you have at least 6-7 cups of broth before adding noodles.
Let sit, covered for 30 minutes, sprinkle with parsley, then serve.
VEGETARIAN CHILI BEANS
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans - drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can black beans - drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can light red kidney beans - drained and rinsed
1 (15oz) can dark red kidney beans - drained and rinsed
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 cups celery, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
1 medium red onion, diced
2 T ground cumin
3 T garlic powder
4 T chili powder
Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat, spraying with cooking spray. Cook vegetables until they are slightly soft – about 6-7 minutes. Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, beans and spices in a large dutch oven or slow cooker. When vegetables are done, add them to the mixture and combine thoroughly.
For Dutch Oven: Simmer for 3-4 hours on low, stirring every so often.
For Slow Cooker: Simmer for 6-7 hours on high.
Number of Servings: 8
2 lb ground beef
4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, butter cubes, salt and pepper. Form into patties and cook as you usually do.
Serve on buns or bread with lettuce, tomato slices and onion slices.
4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
3/4 cup mayonnaise (I use Dukes, it’s the best)
2 tbsp. yellow mustard
salt and pepper
3 tbsp. pickle relish
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 tsp. chives
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Yield: 6 Servings
4 lb Beef chuck roast
1 1/2 oz Pkg. spaghetti sauce mix
Salt and pepper
2 Tomatoes, chopped
Sprinkle pot roast with salt and pepper and then dry spaghetti seasoning mix.
Place in crock pot. Top with chopped tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9
hours or until meat is tender. Remove from crockpot and let stand for 5 minutes.
Mashed Potato, Cream Cheese and Chive Gratin
3 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
8 ounces cream cheese, diced, room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. cold butter, diced
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 6 to 8 cup baking dish. Cook
potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Drain potatoes and return to pot. Add cream cheese and mash. Add sour
cream, milk, chives, salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to prepared dish
and dot top with butter. Bake about 30 minutes until potatoes are
heated through and top is lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before
1 bag (3 lb.) frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 1/2 – 3 lbs. ground beef
4 – 5 lb. chuck roast
2 lb tuna steaks, fresh or frozen
8 oz. cream cheese
16 oz. sour cream
shredded mozzarella cheese
16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
8 oz. ricotta cheese
5 lb. bag russet potatoes
32 oz. frozen broccoli florets
1 bag (16 oz.) Carrots
1 yellow summer squash
1 red onion
2 green onions
1 bag spinach
red bell pepper
yellow bell pepper
chicken bouillon cubes
salad dressing (any type you like for the tossed salads)
2 garlic cloves
12 oz. ziti pasta (dry)
1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
16 oz. egg noodles
1 jar (26 oz.) Marinara sauce
1 pack Spaghetti Sauce Mix
2 cans (28 oz. each) crushed tomatoes
1 can (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans
1 can (15 oz.) black beans
1 can (15 oz.) light red kidney beans
1 can (15 oz.) dark red kidney beans
2 cans (15 oz. each) green beans
2 cans field peas with snaps
2 bags veggie chips (in the potato chip section)
butter flavored crisco sticks
12 oz. milk chocolate chips
8 oz. chopped pecans