It’s Dangerously Cold – Stay Safe – Keep Pipes From Freezing

Thaw Fund

This is a repost because I think it’s worth repeating.  I’m very worried about many friends both near and far who have no heat or very little.  Today on the news if it is accurate, the California wildfire was started by 3 homeless people who built a fire on federal land to try and stay warm.  Sadly the fire is now out of control.

It’s so cold here and we’re all complaining but I want to take a moment and mention those without homes and those living in conditions without any heat. Yesterday my friend’s heat went out and to be honest I was in a panic for her and her family. Not only has Michigan been hit with large amounts of snow but with well below 0 temps. Add in the windchill and it is unreal.

I don’t know what economy the government has found to be improving but it’s not here in our area. There are so many people living well below poverty level and having to pay for heat. People who on a regular basis have juggle finances to make ends meet without taking into consideration higher electric bills, gas, oil, wood etc.

We are heating 100% with wood this year. I paid $1200 for wood and hope and pray it makes it through the whole winter. What I didn’t plan on was having to burn it in the basment woodstove as well as the upstairs woodstove. It is so cold the outside walls and windows are freezing which means possible frozen water pipes.

We have an oil furnace but a tank of oil would last maybe a month and they want over 1k to fill the tank. We have lp gas for hot water and thankfully right now we’re good in that area. There is a waiting list in the area for lp gas delivery. People are going through it much faster than could have ever been anticipated, and since everyone has to pay upfront or upon delivery this is inflicting hard times on people everywhere.

Turn down that thermostat you say? Well, yes, to a point, but see most people here already keep their stats at 65 degrees. Many lower and it breaks my heart hearing about little kids who are cold and wearing coats indoors. One more note, men were pulled off the construction sites today because the wiring in the house was so cold it was breaking.

Here are some helpful things for keeping your home warmer and to help keep water pipes from freezing.

• Roll up blankets and place them in front of the bottoms of outside doors to block drafts.
  • If you don’t have thermal curtains in front of windows put blankets or thick towels over windows.
  • Open all interior doors so all rooms are getting some heat especially bathrooms and laundry rooms.
  • Open all cupboard doors under sinks or around water pipes to let heat circulate.
  • A fan in a bathroom doorway will help circulate warm air.
  • If using electric heaters besure they aren’t in danger of tipping or touching anything that combustable.
  • Do not use space heaters in unvenilated areas this can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Do not use an oven to heat your home it too can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Make sure pets aren’t left outside for long periods of time. Make sure they have plenty of warm food and unfrozen water.

IF YOU HAVE NO HEAT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY COULD BE IN DANGER – Please reach out to family, friends and agencies that can help. Even if they can’t help you with money, I know I would NEVER turn anyone away who would like to stay warm by my fire.

The Heat And Warmth Fund (“THAW Fund“) might be able to help.

I received NO Compensation for this post.  This post is unsolicited.

I received NO Compensation for this post. This post is unsolicited.

11 comments for “It’s Dangerously Cold – Stay Safe – Keep Pipes From Freezing

1. January 7, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Thank you for sharing these great tips to help keep people warm. It seems like it’s cold everywhere in the country right now. Here in NC it was below zero . . . which is crazy!

2. January 10, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I AM LUCKY ALL MY WATER PIPES ARE ON INSIDE WALLS. ONLY THE SEWER PIPE GOING OUTSIDE IS THE CLOSEST TO BEING OUTSIDE WALL THEN IT GOES WAY DOWN IN THE GROUND. I HAVE A HOUSE IN NORTH WISC & 3 YEARS AGO MY STEPMOMS WATER FROZE WHEN MY DAD WAS DYING IN THE HOSPITAL. IT WAS HORRIBLE. SHE AT LEAST GOT HELP FROM THE COUNTY & THEY HAVE HELPED & SHE ALSO HAD HER PIPES WRAPPED SO THAT HELPS ALOT. I SHUT DOWN MY HOUSE UP THERE BUT WILL BE STAYING THERE MORE IN THE NEXT YEAR SO I KNOW HOW HARD IT CAN BE WITH PIPES FREEZING. I WILL HAVE THEM WRAP MY PIPES NOW. WHEN IT WAS A SUMMER HOME NO NEED TO BUT NOW THAT I PLAN TO STAY ALOT LONGER & LEAVE THE HOUSE HEATED I WAS TO BE PROTECTED. THANKS

3. January 17, 2014 at 10:57 am

The hubby and I were away when the cold hit and we were so worried about the pipes. We got back just in time for the 5 degree temperature and everything was ok. Thanks for the tips- I’m sure that we’ll be using them all soon.

4. Mary McCloy
    January 17, 2014 at 11:49 am

Thanks for posting again 🙂 Wonderful keep warm tips.. We have had record breaking cold here in Ohio (and many parts of our country) 🙁

5. January 17, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Love all of your tips. I’ve never heard of that fund but know who I can share it with. Thanks for the resource.

6. January 17, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I never thought about opening the cabinet doors. Thankfully our sub-freezing temps have mostly gone away, but I will remember that for the next episode of freezing weather.

7. January 18, 2014 at 9:18 am

I know exactly how you feel about this dangerously cold winter. I live in CT and we have experienced the coldest temperatures on record in many surrounding towns, including my own. Shelters, churches, senior and other community shelters are providing warm areas for the homeless, elderly or anyone in need.

8. January 18, 2014 at 9:21 am

Our town in VT has opened shelters, senior and community centers and other safe havens from the cold. Pipes are important but people cannot be replaced.

9. Sandra Crispo
    January 19, 2014 at 2:27 am

Being in the south have not had it rough, even Christmas had no snow, etc. But my daughter is in Ohio and grandson in New York and have been glad they aren’t suffering, but so many are.

10. Sarah Elyce
    January 21, 2014 at 11:54 am

This is very important with the recent record-low temperatures in some parts of the country.

11. Georgia Beckman
    January 23, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Thank you for this post. It is 2 degrees right now in central IL & I just put rolled towels inside the pantry door & the back door. I don’t know why I’ve not thought to do this before but it was a DUH moment when I read your post, lol. I have never heard of thawfund.org but I’m going to the website now to share the info for those who may need it.