Giving Back & Helping Others

give

When giving back, especially around the holidays, who do you give to and why? Is it individuals, is it specific charities, or do you like a friend I know have a purse full of loose ones and change for kettles and others needing help (My friend by the way has a lot to give and I told her to make those loose ones fives, but that’s another story).

Giving back is so important and a good friend once told me to give from the inside out meaning, to start with in your family and work to the outer world.  My giving is random and what touches my heart at the moment.  If a family member is in need I do all I can to help them and to help them find the resources I can’t provide.  That too is important.  If you KNOW where someone can get help and they don’t, what a gift it is for you to introduce them to one another.

Toys For Tots, Giving, Toys, Gifts

I donate to church, the Kettle, misc people who are hard up that I know personally, friend’s causes online that touch my heart, Toys For Tots, and more, but one I like to give to?

The person on the street or in the parking lot that has a sign that says “Will Work For Food”.  Yeah, I know many are a sham, but many aren’t.  When I’m able, I like to stop and ask them how they fell on hard times and find a little bit more about them.  Why?  I found some are vets that returned home from the war and can’t find a job, some are ill and mentally ill, many don’t have the education required for a good paying job and are in the working poor.

salvation army, giving, red kettle

When someone is holding up a sign looking for food, I have come to find the reason they’re in this situation is because they paid their bills, and didn’t have enough left over to feed their family. I struggle at times with people who can work but won’t work, and people who are scamming but here is my thought….. If someone is sitting on the street corner begging in the cold and blowing snow with a cardboard sign they have to be in need, because no one in their right might in this frigid weather we have, would scam a few bits of money if they weren’t in true need.

thawfund.org, thaw fund, warmth, heat

This holiday season, look in yourself and think about what you have to give.  It doesn’t have to be money, it can be food or HBA supplies from a stockpile you have in your cupboard, it can be showing someone where a food pantry is or a soup kitchen.  There are companies here in Michigan like the Salvation Army and ThawFund.Org that will help with electric bills or heating bills, thus leaving you enough to purchase food.  Many of these organizations can at least point you in the direction to help your family most.  The spirit of giving shouldn’t end with the holidays though, it should be something everyone of us is thinking about and doing daily.

ww2

11 comments for “Giving Back & Helping Others

1. December 12, 2014 at 12:00 pm

This is a wonderful post! It is great to give back and the list of philanthropic institutions you listed is a great resource! Thanks for sharing this! 🙂

2. December 12, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I give back by swiping the ‘Donate a Meal’ cards at my local grocery store checkout, buying items for the toy drive at the Dollar Store, and donating to the kettle.

3. December 12, 2014 at 12:51 pm

We live in a county that has higher unemployment and lower income per capita than where we have been used to. There are always people who are having hard times outside of our chain stores here. I admit I don’t give much to individual people but if I buy myself a treat (usually a KitKat) while checking out, I get more than one. I know that’s not much, we also give to charities, but I hate waiting for a light to change and watching someone who may not have eaten watch me cram my face with chocolate.

4. December 12, 2014 at 12:56 pm

God has blesses me this year so I am able to give more this year. It is a great thing.

5. December 12, 2014 at 7:53 pm

We normally help others in need but this year is super tight in our house. We made a few goodie bags a few days ago so that my daughter can put a smile on her teachers face.

6. Barbara Montag
    December 12, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Thanks for your great post.
    I volunteer for our Emergency Services program.
    This covers food clothing and financial services.
    Now we’re getting ready for the Toys for Tots.
    I’m retired and now have time to volunteer & I so love it!

7. December 12, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Great post, Joie! Thanks for the reminder. 🙂

8. MARLOU SAKOSKY
    December 15, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I love this and know the feeling of giving back . Jesus can bring such a relief and peace to you when you loose your whole family in 6 weeks,its hard .So glad i was able to keep my faith.
    So i too decided to give back and when i won a gift card to Steak and shake .I took the rest to a family near by and said go eat for me please ..They were so tickled and the kids already knew what shakes they wanted
    .Felt good to give away instead of expecting all my way
    I even was mad at Jesus for taking my family but i kept throwing so much at him , i couldn’t be mad long
    My Randy and i had 20 wonderful yrs and mom 54 so same w/brother.. I have pets now ,son and grand baby
    I say 10 things i am so grateful for everyday
    It can all be gone so fast .just did not expect all in 6 weeks –Happy holidays and celebrate life
    its a positive outlook anyway .
    . God Bless .. / and thank you for sharing such a nice giving story <3

9. Melissa George
    December 16, 2014 at 10:53 am

its always important to help others and not expect to get any return as thats the way life should be. Help should be given from the heart and no expectations in return should be there.

10. melissa hoffman
    December 16, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Awesome!

11. Kristina Glidewell
    December 18, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I feel as I have been beyond blessed and love helping others whenever I can. Awesome post!