My Poor Little Izzy & Her Cone Of Shame

Izzy Cone of Shame

While I’ve heard “Cone of Shame” before I never really knew it until my sweet Izzy had to wear it.

Izzy is 11 months old and last year at this time I had to put my dog Thomas to sleep.  He did everything with me and when I was outside he was by my side.  I was devastated.  We were away visiting family in Pennsylvania for much of June and came home on the 5th of July.  We were floored to find 2 brand new kittens in our barn.  Oli the feral cat who we thought was a boy was obviously a gal.  You can read more about that story here….Our Family Came Home To Kittens

Izzy and her sister had to be cared for day and night and to our surprise survived.  Izzy is my love, she didn’t replace Thomas but she filled a very empty space.  Yesterday, I was playing with her.  She’s a thief and some things she’s allowed to keep some things not.  She had however, taken my last hair tie.  I was headed to the bathroom and saw that she had left one on the floor and quickly shut the door to grab the hair tie.

When I did I got her tail in the hing and about 2″ was gone.  I don’t know who was more horrified, her or me.  We quickly drove to the vet who said her tail had to be amputated another 4″ up.  This morning we went to get her and they said she’s very shamed wearing the cone.  They said she’s upset about her tail too but who wouldn’t be?

While her tail is shorter I’m so glad she’s going to be ok and I feel terrible.  She’s trying to get in good with her mom and brother again who seem to be having a bit of a hissy fit (literally).

13 comments for “My Poor Little Izzy & Her Cone Of Shame

1. Sandra Watts
    June 11, 2015 at 11:56 am

Poor little baby. Although the cones are helpful I just hate to see animals having to wear them. I know it is for their own good though. Feel better Izzy.

2. Fee Roberts
    June 11, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Oh poor thing! I can imagine how you must feel. Even though she lost some of her tail, she gained love and security 🙂

3. June 11, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I feel awful! We took the cone off for a bit but as soon as we let her go she goes after her tail so we need to leave it on if someone isn’t holding her.

Our vet is 30 min. away but I’m so thankful, they took her in right away and were really good to her.

4. Rachel Selima
    June 11, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Aww no, poor sweetie.

5. Heather!
    June 12, 2015 at 11:39 am

When I was young we had a gorgeous calico cat. She waved her beautiful tail with a flourish; it was like her crowning glory, and she communicated with it regularly. We lived in the country, and one day she came home with the last three inches of her tail hanging on by a bit of skin. We assume she got too close to some sort of tractor or thresher or something, and her tail was nearly cut off. The vet had to amputate all but a few inches of what was left of her tail, but we were so grateful she was otherwise all right. However, when her little stumpy tail healed, she still tried to flourish her regal appendage…but it just wagged back and forth like the tail of an excited puppy! It was hilarious, really…maybe not to her, but to us, at least! 🙂

I sure hope Izzy heals well, and that maybe she can help channel Thomas when she brandishes her new stumpy puppy tail! 🙂

6. Nataile Brown
    June 12, 2015 at 3:25 pm

First of all, I’m so sorry for the loss of your dear dog. I would be so sad if I were to lose my boxer boy. Oh my goodness, poor little Izzy. Accidents happen and I truly hope that you know this was accidental. The “cone of shame” is never fun for us or them. At least you’ll be able to get all the TV channels for a few days while she’s wearing it. lol

7. June 12, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Thanks everyone.

Natalie, I know it was an accident but I feel so bad! I had forgotten what the old dishes looked like and that made me laugh!

Heather! Izzy loved her tail too, just as you described. Last night was rough. She has lost all balance but YES she has the little nub and sadly we’ve laughed at it wagging like a puppies. She even scared herself with it a little. Today she’s doing well. Running around and even smacked her brother when he got too close.

8. Jeanine
    June 13, 2015 at 2:38 am

Oh, poor Izzy lost her tail AND her dignity. Hope she gets some fresh fish or something for dinner!

9. Penni
    June 13, 2015 at 11:12 am

Poor little Izzy! Hope she and her tail are feeling a little better today. Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery!

June 14, 2015 at 6:50 am

I hope Izzy has a speedy recovery. She seems like such a playful kitty. Vet visits are never fun and I always feel bad about the cones too.

11. June 14, 2015 at 11:41 am

I am very sorry this happen to izzy. I have two cat and Thank God this has never happen to them

12. June 14, 2015 at 9:06 pm

I’m sorry this has to happen to Izzy, and I hope she gets better soon. She’s such a doll!

13. June 15, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Awww, ty everyone. She’s doing super well and is hopping in the windows and playing. She even took a few swipes at her brother who is 2x her size when he hissed at her.

Thankfully I think we’re done with the cone. It’s kinda funny how crafty they are trying to get it off. She wedged it between a basket and the sofa and kept pulling and almost succeeded.