Northern Michigan Wildlife

IMG_20160611_184524770

Northern Michigan is semi populated year around, but most people live here in the summer and in the south or far west in the winter. We have a lot of natural wildlife habitats here and we have encroached on the natural habitats. This makes for some great and not so great interactions with local wildlife.

r1

Fortunately, I’ve never had the misfortune of meeting up with any that have attacked or scared me. From my house we see a lot of deer, rabbits, and I even had the pleasure of seeing a bobcat climb the tree next to our house. I had one scary episode with a coyote when one of the boys was small, but our dog scared him off. At night we can hear the coyotes howling or yapping, and for boys that like to camp in the yard that can be daunting.

PART95146668861591095facebook951466688594514

This spring my son, Quinn and I came home to a scraggly looking fox. He stayed in the yard for quite a while before moving on. The other night my husband and I caught a raccoon playing peek-a-boo with us from our tree.

12805851_10207307329419411_7365413265768238380_n

In the early morning hours and at dusk you have to be on the look out for deer because they will literally mow you down when you’re walking in the yard. So I wanted to take a few moments and share some great photos from the great north with you.

20 comments for “Northern Michigan Wildlife

1. Erin K.
    June 30, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Thank you for sharing these photos. I think it’s important to know what critters are around.

2. July 3, 2016 at 2:54 pm

I love foxes…they have great childhood memories with my grandpa. Such beautiful animals. Thanks for the photos.

July 4, 2016 at 7:38 pm

It is beautiful in northern Michigan. I am from Algonac Michigan and we used to love going up north from there. I really enjoy seeing the animals, especially the deer. They are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing

4. Cheryl Everitt
    July 7, 2016 at 7:25 pm

I am going to Michigan sometime in my lifetime. It is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

5. Susan P.
    July 10, 2016 at 7:35 pm

My grandparents lived in Michigan and every summer when we went to visit them, we would also go to northern Michigan (Sleeping Bear Dunes, Petosky and the UP) to go camping. My Dad would haul a pop-up camper behind our station wagon that slept 6. We always had a blast!

6. July 10, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Susan,
    I live in Harbor Springs the connecting town to Petoskey 🙂

7. Emily Endrizzi
    July 18, 2016 at 2:30 am

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

8. July 21, 2016 at 12:05 am

Such beautiful photos. Love them!

9. Sue E
    July 21, 2016 at 12:45 pm

We have gone to Michigan for a few vacations when the kids were young. We live in IL, so we drove up there. The kids liked the WWF (that’s the initials they had back then). So we’ve traveled to see its Summerslam & Wrestlemania, etc. My husband liked to fish there. Absolutely beautiful! You are very fortunate! I’d be a little nervous about the kids whereabouts though!

10. Rajeeva
    July 22, 2016 at 1:26 am

i love nature photos.

11. July 22, 2016 at 1:54 pm

This looks like a beautiful place to live.

12. Hannah C
    July 24, 2016 at 12:02 am

These are excellent photos. I love nature. So beautiful.

13. marthalynn
    July 28, 2016 at 9:19 am

Oh my goodness! Who knew such wildlife could be right in your backyard?!? We have foxes in our community, too. They’re not a real danger to us or our animals here as they mostly just keep the rodent population under control.

14. Debra Holloway
    August 6, 2016 at 3:36 am

I love animals. I live in the country and get to see them in my backyard daily, especially deer, squirrels, and rabbits.

15. ellen beck
    August 9, 2016 at 1:59 am

Goodness that was a scraggly fox poor thing! We havewildlife here too, sans the bobcats in as many numbers as you do. I have seen them, but it is rare. There are also coyotes but the wickedest thing is actuall a deer- goodness those things can do some damage .

16. Carrie
    August 18, 2016 at 10:00 pm

These are some great shots. Michigan is on my bucket list of places to visit and seeing all these great wildlife shots makes it even more appealing. Thanks!

17. August 19, 2016 at 10:06 am

I love being able to look out and see wildlife!

18. sheila ressel
    August 20, 2016 at 12:37 pm

I think that’s neat that you get to see so much wildlife up close. The only things we get in our backyard are raccoons and possums.

19. Jerry Marquardt
    August 20, 2016 at 10:01 pm

I enjoyed reading about wildlife. I enjoyed the photos. I would love to see it for myself.

20. Laurie Nykaza
    September 20, 2016 at 3:41 am

Sounds like a zoo there! We have a few things here in Southern Ca in the middle of the city like possums and Raccoons a squirrel here and there lots of rabbits they all come late at night or early in the morning . We do enjoy seeing them.