Holidays – The Good, Bad & Ugly

candle-386607_960_720

The holiday season brings out the best in people, and the worst in people. I think sometimes, it’s much easier for us to have empathy for strangers, than is to have empathy for our own family members. It’s easier to love from afar than what is right in front of you, and it is much much easier to give when you don’t have to forgive someone to do it.

In my “How Journey” I’ve learned a lot about myself. This year I’ve found there is more to like about me than I thought, but that I also have some dark areas. Things have happened in my life that I thought I had forgiven and let go of. Well, I may have forgiven but I haven’t let go of the hurt or the memories. It’s sort of a scab that hasn’t healed on my soul. I hold on to things and dwell on them, even the smallest speck that should have gone away long ago. And then it hit me, this is holding a grudge. Whether I wanted to or not I was holding grudges.

So how does all this fit into, Holidays – The Good, Bad & Ugly? No matter what bad has been done to us, holding a grudge makes us ugly on the inside. The good? When we forgive and let it go, the good can seep into your soul and you will like yourself more. This is much easier said than done. Believe me I know because I’ve been letting things fester for what seems like forever. I smile on the outside and tell everyone all is good, but on the inside I have been dwelling on things that people have done to me, or how I think they thought of me. Yes, I know I have done things too, things that others maybe dwelling on and things that I pray I’ve been forgiven of.

Around the holidays this dwells in me more than usual. I think about God sending Jesus to forgive our sins. Sins we’ve committed against each other and Him. And so I sat down and I wrote down all of the things I felt people had done to me and that was bothering me. I wrote down what I was feeling, why I  these things. I looked that list over good and then I burned it. I threw it in the fireplace and watched it burn, and as it did I looked down at the pad of paper I was holding and it was blank. A blank slate to start new.

So I’ve decided to lose myself this holiday season in God and the coming of His Son. To start with a clean slate myself and to give everyone else a clean slate.

27 comments for “Holidays – The Good, Bad & Ugly

1. tisonlyme143
    December 1, 2016 at 1:06 pm

I love what you wrote here, I think having the Christmas spirit means giving up all that negative thoughts or grudges and showing the love we have not only for others but for ourselves..
    @tisonlyme143

2. December 1, 2016 at 2:18 pm

I agree and thanks for sharing. I try really hard not to hold onto old grudges for the main reason it only hurts myself and the person you have a grudge against more than likely doesn’t care. So spend the holidays enjoying the people you do care about.

3. Kimberly Flickinger
    December 1, 2016 at 11:05 pm

This is so true. The holidays can bring out the best and the worst in people. I try to remain positive and enjoy my time with my family and friends. Thank you so much for sharing.

4. Debra Holloway
    December 1, 2016 at 11:52 pm

I think we must all make that inner journey at some point in our lives and not only forgive others but forgive ourselves as well. It is part of the growth and enlightenment cycle.

5. Lauryn R
    December 2, 2016 at 7:33 pm

This is a great post, thank you so much for sharing! 🙂 I love the part about letting go and forgiving, not only others but yourself.

6. kristen visser
    December 2, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Oh I love that!! the fact that you wrote everything down that was bothering you to release it from your body and then burnt it to get rid of it and forget it! such a body cleanse. out with the bad and negative in with the good and positive

7. Amy
    December 3, 2016 at 11:21 am

Love the name of your website 🙂

8. Rebecca Kerchner-Love
    December 4, 2016 at 3:37 am

This makes me stop and think. I have always had a hard time around the holidays..but then I grew up celebrating a day not knowing the reason behind it until I was older

9. Sherry Fram
    December 4, 2016 at 4:49 am

Great post! I have found that holding onto to negative things only hurts you not anyone else so I try to be upbeat & let go of all the negative stuff.

10. Sherry Martindale
    December 6, 2016 at 10:05 am

We have to let go of grudges if we want to be able to fully enjoy the best of times like Christmas ????

11. December 7, 2016 at 1:22 pm

I always had a hard time letting go. I think in older years I have gotten better at it though.

12. Amanda zentner
    December 8, 2016 at 3:54 pm

????☃❄????????????

13. Barrie
    December 9, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Great idea to start a clean slate! Wonderful goal for 2017.

14. Indrani Biswas
    December 11, 2016 at 7:57 am

I totally echo the same sentiments and thoughts.I too plan to start on a clean slate !

15. Marianne T
    December 13, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Beautifully said. I am going to try incorporate that into my personal life as well.

16. December 15, 2016 at 10:35 am

Thank you for sharing.

17. Betsy Barnes
    December 15, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Well said! I do try to be extra positive during the holidays, not focusing on the negative.

18. December 15, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Nice thoughts, I have always been the glass is half full kind of person, negativity just makes a person ill. Happy Holidays!

19. donna FIELDS
    December 18, 2016 at 12:38 am

Thank you so much for sharing it was beautiful and made me think as well as cry. I have not had a good holiday since my husband died and have carried around a grudge for a few yrs now on the why to be honest. I know we have to get past these thoughts and remember everything is for a reason. The people who were around at that time i had gotten to where i could not stand at all. i know i have to forgive and stop hating this time of yr for being left alone to raise three grandchildren by myself. i have to forgive the family who acts as though we died that day also. It is however a hard thing to do . Grudges only hurt us the ones we have grown to dislike could care less. Thank you again this has been a blessing to me tonight. Merry Xmas.

20. Lynne Chambers
    December 18, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Great article! I needed to hear this more then ever this year as I struggle with a family issue. Thank you for the positive spin!

21. December 19, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Everyone here is so special and full of forgiveness. It’s encouraging to me to read your comments and most definitely helps me to do better.

22. Trisha Carlson
    January 10, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Great post! This is so very true.

23. Kelly
    January 11, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Very cool. I love the idea of letting things go. Sometimes we need to have a cleansing and throwing that into the fire would be a great exercise to let those things go.

24. January 13, 2017 at 3:57 pm

i love the apple heart,with the see through glass window i want it for my momfor christmas this yr.

25. Jeanna Massman
    January 13, 2017 at 9:53 pm

This was so thought provoking! Thanks for the reminders.

26. denise low
    January 26, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Thank you for sharing. I think Holidays are for families to come together. I like your post.

27. Elizabeth Brooks
    January 30, 2017 at 12:55 pm

I agree, thanks for sharing