Princess Feral Kitty Lost and Found

Princess Feral Kitty Resting

Three weeks ago we had a wind storm that blew open our door from the house to the garage. It was quite a while before I felt a cold breeze and found the door open with all 4 cats in the garage. Jasper (the tuxedo cat) was watching Vanilla (our beige tabby) rummage in the garage food bag. Izzy (calico) was meowing as if telling on the others, but Mama was missing.

Jasper Yawning

For those that don’t know Oli is our feral cat and extremely skittish. She usually runs the other way when you open a door but Vanilla is her special baby, and she’ll follow him out and fuss at him until he come back inside.

Vanilla Yawning

This time Oli could not be found. I hurriedly herded the cats into the house and went on the search for Princess Feral Kitty, nothing. I had an appointment in town and as I was pulling out of the driveway saw her running under a pine tree. I tried to catch her but her skittishness just made her run.

Izzy Yawning

One night I saw her looking in and meowing at the slider. I went to let her in but she was spooked. We set a live trap out to catch her but nothing. We saw her in the yard a few times so we moved the live trap. I just want to say we caught a different cat almost daily but not her, and I had no idea how many feral cats were roaming the neighborhood.

Needless to say last Friday it was raining and I heard her crying under our bedroom window.  She had been missing 2 weeks at this time.   My boys ran to the slider and put out a trail of cat treats that lead into the house and we got her!

To say I had been worried and upset is an understatement. My husband said maybe she wanted to stay outside. After getting her back, she definitely doesn’t want to be an outdoor cat. If I open the slider she’s running the other way. She cried for days and was snuggly. She’s never been snuggly. She has crawled into laps and even let us holder her as she cried. I think she missed us as much as we missed her.

The other cats though, weren’t so welcoming. When one gets out or goes to the vet they all hiss at that poor cat. Oli adores her boy Vanilla who is the runt and very slow mentally, but when he growled and hissed she literally clobbered him (Go Mama!). Now after a few days the house of cats is starting to settle down and the normal cat life has fallen into place. I’m counting each of our 4 blessings.

32 comments for “Princess Feral Kitty Lost and Found

1. sherry butcher
    April 10, 2017 at 6:04 pm

Wow, not many get a Feral cat to become a inside one. Thanks for sharing.

2. Margaret Appel
    April 10, 2017 at 6:34 pm

I am so glad Princess Feral Kitty was able to be lured back inside. It is nerve wracking when one of your furbabies gets out.

April 10, 2017 at 7:43 pm

So happy she is home and safe again with you!

4. Auntiepatch
    April 10, 2017 at 8:18 pm

So happy she found her way back home!

5. Thomas Gibson
    April 15, 2017 at 11:00 am

Gorgeous cat, I would love to adopt every stray I see. But unfortunately I have allergies. Sadly.

April 15, 2017 at 11:06 am

Poor baby. I am so happy you finally got her back inside. She is so cute

7. denise low
    April 15, 2017 at 8:41 pm

I am happy that everything turned out okay.

8. Darcy Koch
    April 16, 2017 at 12:31 pm

I love cats and I love a story that has a good ending.

9. Cheryl Chervitz
    April 17, 2017 at 10:55 am

So glad that this had a happy ending.

10. April 17, 2017 at 5:13 pm

She is doing so much better and has settled down a bit. She was really upset for a few days and meowing her mind to us. The other cats have finally stopped hissing at her and things are getting back to normal. She been a lot more cuddly lately.

11. Debbie Welchert
    April 19, 2017 at 5:20 pm

I’m so glad you got your kitty back. There is nothing like happy endings.

12. gloria patterson
    April 19, 2017 at 5:40 pm

lucky woman your furbaby is home!

13. Byron
    April 21, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Glad she’s alright!

14. Edward
    April 24, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Awe, so precious, I would love to adopt another cat.

15. gloria patterson
    April 30, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Some times you don’t know if a feral cat was once someone love. I have had a lot of cats over the years and each and everyone was special to me

16. Judy Thomas
    May 1, 2017 at 4:53 am

She is so gorgeous. Poor baby must have been scared.

17. Louise Murray
    May 1, 2017 at 11:28 am

Happy that Princess Oli is Home~ Safe & Sound~❤

18. Rachael DeBates
    May 2, 2017 at 7:00 pm

glad she’s home 🙂

19. Crissie Woolard
    May 4, 2017 at 1:36 pm

She is so cute. So glad she is safe and sound

20. Linda Szymoniak
    May 9, 2017 at 1:28 am

I haven’t had a lot of experience with feral cats (although we have several in our neighborhood that I’m still trying to find help for – the man living right across from us has been seen shooting at them and I know has caught and dumped – possibly even shooting them away from his house but the local police won’t/can’t do anything if they don’t catch him). My Moko was found as a stray nearly 7 years ago by a friend’s father. It was pretty obvious that Moko had been someone’s pet but we had no luck finding them, so she’s now mine. Arata was one of several kittens of a feral mama cat who was taken in by a rescue – kittens are all spay/neutered and adopted and mama I believe was spayed and given shots and released (she was too feral to adopt out). My Kotoha was just two weeks when I found her – two of her siblings had already been killed by some type of animal and we had more really bad storms coming through, so I took her and bottle fed her until she was old enough to feed herself. She’s technically a feral, but was raised from two weeks old by me, so she’s very tame and just the most loving kitten. I worry about the feral cats by us. I wish the town would do more with regard to the idiot across the street from me. I had a rescue that told me they would help, but now they say they can’t. I’m glad yours came back.

21. Tracy Pryor
    May 9, 2017 at 10:01 am

I’m so glad your story had a happy ending. We just adopted a formally feral boy cat and he hid in the basement for 3 days before coming out to see us.

22. May 9, 2017 at 11:21 am

Linda we have a lot of Feral cats here and generally speaking you can’t go near them with out them trying to scratch your eyes out. I feel bad for them and would love to take them all in but just can’t. There is a farm down the road from us and I think a lot of the feral cats come from there. The farmer treats those cats so well though.

What I like about the feral cats is that the kill the moles which are horrid here. They also kill other small pests. While I feel bad they’re not loved I don’t think they feel bad.

Because Oli was feral all of her kittens were spayed and neutered at no charge and we paid for Oli. We also tamed her or at least some what. We can’t pick her up but she loves to be pet and brushed. She’ll sit next to us and every now and then crawl into a lap.

She’s become such a loved part of our family.

23. Barrie
    May 14, 2017 at 12:04 am

Glad you found Oli. Is Oli still cuddly?

24. Jaque Richards
    May 24, 2017 at 12:10 am

So happy you found your feral kitty. I had a feral cat for 20 years, she was totally useless….but I loved her so much. She passed away last year. She loved the backyard and that is where she is…her favorite place. 🙂

25. May 27, 2017 at 11:55 pm

I’m happy Princess Feral Kitty was not lost forever. 🙂

26. vickie couturier
    June 8, 2017 at 7:56 am

beautiful cat,,glad all is well now

27. Cynthia Green
    June 8, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Makes me want to go hug on my cat. Nice story!

28. Robin Creager
    June 28, 2017 at 9:46 am

Awww..what a happy ending! I don’t know which is worse, have a pet pass away in my arms or one that ran away. I’m glad your Oli came back home.

29. Barbara Mayes
    July 19, 2017 at 5:21 pm

if only kitties could talk! so happy you got her back!

30. Marisa Castillo
    August 11, 2017 at 2:13 am

I have two cats myself and would be so sad if they went missing. I’m even allergic to cats! I dont allow them in my room or n the sofa. I would be a cat lady if I wasn’t allergic! Lol

31. Carolsue
    October 7, 2017 at 7:27 pm

What an adorable kitty! I’m so happy for her!

32. November 5, 2017 at 2:08 pm

I’m so glad you found her! It’s an awful feeling when one of your furr babies can’t be found! We have 1 dog, 6 cats and a chinchilla… in our home. All of the pets we have are rescues from shelters.