Embracing My Family & Imperfections “How Journey”

Sometimes I take my husband and kids for granted.  My husband is a great husband and he tries really hard to help me around the house but he doesn’t do things the way I would (sound familiar?).  Or he goes above and beyond what I wanted.  At times this causes me frustration and I get impatient when I should really be thankful and accepting of his intentions.

I think many times how blessed I am to have my husband.  He’s a wonderful person, husband and father.  Best of all he loves me and goes out of his way to do little things to make our relationship special.  So the other day when he got frustrated with me it gave me pause to think about all he does for our family and the little thanks he gets.

Many of us moms feel like we’re in a tiring and thankless job.  We think if we just had a little help, just a little, things would go so much smoother.  However, when help is extended to us we criticize it or even turn it away.  Thinking from my husband’s point of view, I sure would be frustrated with me.

This just doesn’t relate to my husband but kids as well.  So in my “HOW JOURNEY” I’ve decided that getting rid of my anxiety and creating happiness starts with ME!  I need to learn to accept help and accept the way it’s given to me.  It doesn’t matter if the dishwasher is loaded incorrectly as long as it’s loaded and run.  It doesn’t REALLY matter if all of my towels are folded the same, so that the backs are perfectly together, it just matters that when we open the closet door we have a clean towel.

I have been so wrapped up in perfections that don’t really matter that I’ve stopped enjoying life and become critical, not just of myself but those I care about most.  Here are some things I’m going to try to do more of.

• When my husband does something to help I’m going to embrace him and thank him.
  • When my kids try to help I’m going to leave the project the way they did it and thank them for their effort.
  • I’m going to love more and criticize less.
  • I’m going to take that little bit of the extra time their help gives me and spend it on them, shooting baskets, catching up on what’s going on with them, and doing things that will build loving memories.
  • I am going to make sure my husband knows I love and appreciate him as a husband, father and provider for our family.

I have gone through much of my adult life thinking if I’m not productive, I’m doing nothing.  Not true!  Sometimes when you’re doing nothing you’re the most productive.

16 comments for “Embracing My Family & Imperfections “How Journey”

1. Lauryn R
    April 27, 2017 at 1:12 pm

What a great post, thank you so much for sharing! 🙂 I definitely believe it is important to embrace yourself as well as your family.

2. Valerie Lerma
    April 27, 2017 at 6:09 pm

i love this post its very important to embrace family thats the best thing

April 28, 2017 at 5:20 am

This is wonderful. I am going to try to do all of these ideas that you mentioned also!

4. Wendy W
    April 28, 2017 at 7:09 am

Have gratitude daily!

5. Marthalynn
    April 28, 2017 at 11:21 am

Great post! I loved hearing how you were looking at it from your husband’s perspective. Being a mom is, indeed, rough and at times completely unappreciated. Keeping our expectations realistic and embracing our reality is truly the key to avoiding disappointment and resentment!

6. belinda bell
    April 28, 2017 at 8:59 pm

I love this. Embracing and being with my family the most important it to me.

7. Jodie
    April 28, 2017 at 9:58 pm

What a great post. Thanks for reminding me of things I forget at times.

8. Tina Alexander
    April 29, 2017 at 12:27 am

It’s so easy to get caught up in the same routine and neglect/forget what is really important.Usually I can feel a disconnect and know I need to make more time for my family.

April 29, 2017 at 10:08 am

We can all be so critical and take our family and friends for granted. You have it so right. This is the best way to live. Thank you for sharing

10. desiree
    April 29, 2017 at 6:56 pm

the staute is so pretty and then i love to have it for family memeber

11. Kathy Ross
    April 30, 2017 at 3:56 pm

I know what you mean about taking people in our lives for granted. I try very hard not to do that. I always thank everyone when they do something for me, especially if I don’t have to ask. That deserves a big hug! When I think about something negative I try to get back on track by thinking about a positive. It helps, for sure!

12. Deborah W.
    May 1, 2017 at 7:51 am

I think it’s important to recognize that everyone has imperfections and then embrace them as you have done. We are not perfect and we should stop expecting ourselves to be that way. Life will be a lot more enjoyable when we do that. Thanks for the insights.

13. Barrie
    May 6, 2017 at 11:36 pm

I tell my husband frequently how much I appreciate all he has done for us. if it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have been a stay at home mom or continue to be a housewife once we had an empty nest!

14. Crissie Woolard
    May 26, 2017 at 8:28 pm

I think there are a lot of people in this world including myself who need to read this. I really needed to hear this tonight thank you for reminding me.

15. Robin Creager
    June 5, 2017 at 7:06 pm

This is great advice! I wished more women would think like this instead of complaining so much.

August 28, 2017 at 1:46 pm

This is great information and it works. God is Love. He has blessed us in so many ways. We have a tendency in our busy world to forget. God Bless