Coming Together As Women On Social Media

We’ve all seen them in social media.  The moms that know it all, the moms that want to be better than the others and so she posts things that tear other moms down.  Many times these women themselves feel inferior or insecure.  Lately, I have seen more and more of it on Facebook.

I would first like to say to all moms, take it easy.  We’re all doing the best we can, but not all of us get it done the same way.   I’m covering this for two reasons one, I think it’s better to be the “good enough” mom then it is to be a mom who does nothing or a mom who tries to do everything.  It’s a moderation thing.  The other reason, for those of you posting these things you may not even realize that you’re tearing down and criticizing other moms.

All moms want to learn and become educated about life in general so that we can give our kids the best start possible, but many moms like me are trying to figure out the “HOW”.    It used to be cereal was a great way to start your morning or even a great snack.  Fast forward a quarter century and SURPRISE!  Cereal that started out as healthy has so many additives added to it it’s no longer a good staple.  Cereal is marketed towards kids and has so much added sugar, filler and colors that it’s not good for any of us.  Let’s for just a minute forget the brand.  I saw a mom re-post a post on Facebook and say “Glad I never fed my kids that junk”.  Funny thing is, I know for a fact that mom did and has.

Let’s move forward to brand names.  A couple of years back a bagged cereal was recalled.  I’m  going  to call these girls chick #1 and chick #2 and they’re sisters.  Chick #1 says, I would NEVER feed my kids that crap, which btw I do feed my kids that crap, and Chick #2 yells at her sister “you’re so full of crap, and just being mean”.  That right there took away all thoughts of inferiority I may have had.  I politely smiled and said to Chick #2 that I was glad I didn’t have any of the recalled cereal on hand right now.

Moving right along let’s talk about organic moms.  I admire them.  I really do and I wish that I could afford organics, we’re on a tight budget and my boys literally eat me out of house and home.  A mom commented that she wouldn’t feed her kids at all if organics weren’t available.  *sigh*  I think you’re getting the picture.

These three scenarios are just examples and happen to be food examples but this type of “shaming” can be about food, discipline, children’s health, etc.  My point is we don’t have to be confrontational, we can build each other up and use things that happen as teaching points.

Example, if a cereal contains something not so great, post about what isn’t great about it and maybe a cereal that is a healthier alternative.  If you know all about organics and a mom can’t afford them, make some suggestions like, Do you have an Aldi’s?  They have great prices on their organics.   Or wash the produce you buy in baking soda water and rinse well.  Another great idea?  Maybe you can grow some of your vegetables during the summer (that’s organic!).

Moms, Sisters, Daughters, WOMEN we’re all in this together.  We can make our lives so much easier and better if we help one another instead of criticizing, making critical points at people, or just being mean.

What are you doing to help build other moms up?

10 comments for “Coming Together As Women On Social Media

1. June 14, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Wow this is a intense article

June 15, 2017 at 5:19 am

I totally agree with this article! Helping each other is so much nicer and more rewarding then hurting or criticizing!

3. Linda Szymoniak
    June 17, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Social media has been a godsend for some things (animal rescue advocates network dogs, cats, and other animals in need via Facebook and other social media platforms – I have three dogs I adopted from posts on Facebook and met the friend I got my cat, Moko, through on Facebook). However, the down side is that social media has become a platform for bullying and harassing for some. In a perfect world, the internet would only be used for good. I find that I have to watch carefully just who I talk to and how I take what they say. Can you believe that even in animal rescue there are those who have that superiority attitude (THEY are the only ones who are doing things “right”, the only ones who’s opinions matter, etc.) My daughters were already older when we started getting involved in social media, but I can just imagine what I’d have to deal with as a mother now. People need to learn to raise each other up. Not tear them down. Even on social media.

4. Edna Williams
    June 17, 2017 at 2:43 pm

Wow! I find what you say to be totally true!

5. June 17, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Really nice post. All so true.

6. Barrie
    June 17, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Very good points. As moms, we are all doing the best we can but we all have our own ways going about doing it. One way isn’t better than aother.

7. Mya Murphy
    June 18, 2017 at 8:41 pm

I am so tired of people judging others, period… man or woman.. seriously sad. Shaming is just… so elementary school!

8. June 19, 2017 at 10:39 am

YES! Mya, I feel like social media has become an extension of high school. I do benefit a lot from social media, have found great stores, sources of information and encouragement but I see much more negativity and to me it says those people posting are miserable and possible reaching out for help. Maybe some of the critical posters need some love idk. I don’t have all the answers but I want to be the best me I can be and to me that is encouraging others and making a difference if I can.

9. Christina A.
    June 19, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Wow…this is honestly so important! Social media is a place to be as respectful to others as anywhere else! We want to spend the time in our finite lives building people up and encouraging them! <3

10. Cynthia Schmied
    June 21, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Friendships formed on social media are as important as those forged in person. Respect is key in all communication.