Upcycling & Renewing Old Plastic Furniture

This is NOT a paid or sponsored post.  This is a project my husband and I did for ourselves.

If you’re anything like our family, you’re on a tight budget.  There is no room in our budget for new outdoor furniture.  We generally buy a piece here or there but replacing what we have just isn’t in the cards.  We have an old set of plastic furniture that was sturdy but really looked bad from years of weathered abuse.  I also was rummaging around in my father in laws things and found an adorable table that I decided to work on.  Below is a before picture.

Each chair took 1 can of Spray Rustoleum Paint at a cost of about $3 a can.   The plastic table took 2 cans of paint and the little metal table used the left over from one of the chairs.   This is our opinion and we are not promoting Rustoleum but we tried another brand that looked comparable and it wasn’t.  The paint peeled off the plastic so we will only use the Rustoleum brand.   Below is a before picture of the little table.

We wiped down the furniture well before spraying.  Each chair took about 2 coats of paint with touch ups here and there because of operator errors.  It turned this cheap plastic set of furniture into something beautiful that co-exists with us well.  I’m super glad we didn’t throw this out.  We have another patio set with metal chairs and a glass table we got as a wedding gift.  We’ve been married 27 years so it needs some freshening and is next on our list.

For less than $20 we revamped our deck furniture with the colors we wanted.  Does your family upcycle?

19 comments for “Upcycling & Renewing Old Plastic Furniture

1. Lula Ruger
    June 24, 2017 at 8:55 am

great project ideas i love refurbishing things and giving them a new life

2. Brandon Sparks
    June 24, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Wow.. Great ideas. Thanks so much for this great info. I have lots I can do with this..

3. Jennifer Smith
    June 26, 2017 at 9:21 pm

I love love love krylon paint. I was given a very old faded Christmas tree and used krylon paint because it covers and adheres to plastic without dripping. I too painted a Adirondack chair.

4. Lisa Garland
    June 27, 2017 at 10:31 am

It looks so great!! Thanks for the tips, what a wonderful idea!!

5. Kim Avery
    June 28, 2017 at 6:25 am

I have two white chairs that I have wanted to paint but wasn’t sure if it was worth the effort! I guess it is and our deck needs some color!

6. Kathy Ross
    June 28, 2017 at 8:00 pm

I try to up cycle as much as possible. You did a great job. And it really wasn’t expensive.

7. June 28, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Great ideas. I like renewing things, instead of filling up our landfills too.

8. Charity Moore
    June 29, 2017 at 12:42 pm

I love seeing things renewed! Great job!

9. June 29, 2017 at 8:37 pm

great job thanks for sharing terribly sad when you find so many lovely things that have been weathered now you can renew them easily.

10. Deborah W.
    June 30, 2017 at 4:38 pm

This is so cute! I never knew you could paint the plastic. So glad that you can. Thanks for the idea!

11. denise low
    July 2, 2017 at 2:21 pm

This is really cool. Brings old back to life. Thank you for sharing.

12. Susan Bilger
    July 8, 2017 at 1:42 pm

I love the idea of painting plastic furniture. There are so many different colors to choose from and the paint goes on really easy. Super way to upgrade your patio.
    Something else to try. Pick up sample tiles, I used three different colors on my table top and concrete stepping stones. Put them in a baggie and lightly tap them with a hammer to break them into pieces. Glue pieces down onto serface leaving a sm gap between pieces. Spread grout & wipe clean. When grout is dry you can clear coat if you want to help keep it clean.

13. Cathy Jarolin
    July 19, 2017 at 10:27 pm

I just love the Gorgeous colors you painted your furniture. Really looks Pretty.You saved yourself alot of money and made your outside furniture look so Pretty! Good Job!!

14. Elizabeth Tarlow
    July 20, 2017 at 4:41 pm

What a brilliant idea…I love it! Thanks for sharing 🙂 We have several boring looking chairs that need some sprucing up! You did a really good job!!

August 7, 2017 at 6:41 pm

This is such a great idea. It would definitely save alot of money. Thank you so much for sharing

16. September 12, 2017 at 3:20 am

Love the colors. So amazing what you can do with a can of paint. Looks like a fun and economical project anyone can do.

17. Tina Alexander
    October 6, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Love this! If only I took more effort and time to restore instead of replace items! I could save so much money!

18. Karen Propes
    March 13, 2018 at 2:51 pm

We need to do this to our furniture, it has faded out so badly. Thanks for showing us a way to save a lot of money!!!

19. MD Kennedy
    April 6, 2018 at 1:09 pm

I did not know you could re-do plastic furniture – what a great idea! I have a few chairs we were considering tossing but now we won’t have to!