Waiting For Godot – Dot Has Arrived! #HowJourney

When my precious dog Thomas passed away three years ago I wanted nothing to do with a dog. I didn’t want to replace him. Living things cannot be replaced. I mourned and I mourned deeply for him. He had been my best friend and secret keeper for 14 years. He had taken care of the kids when a coyote came in the yard. I trained him so that he only went to the kitchen when it was time for him to eat. Generally, he didn’t leave the yard. He was my everything (Not including my husband and kids).

And so I’ve been Waiting for Godot. For those of you unfamiliar with Waiting For Godot (most aren’t) it’s a play or book that has 2 characters waiting for this person, Godot who never arrives. This was required reading in one of my college classes. Recently, I got the itch for a puppy. One I could train again and lavish with love.  I had a picture in my head. I have never paid for a pet, we’ve always rescued. I was adamant about this though. I had a name “Dot” because it reminded me of “Waiting For Godot”. I knew what she needed to look like and so the search began for an English Bulldog with a dot.

What I found on the internet horrified me. Do you know how many people are running “puppy scams”? Puppy Mills?  Almost every site I looked at was a scam and they were asking for thousands and thousands of dollars for puppies. This really dashed my hopes and dreams of finding my “Dot”. I started saving photos and searching them through Google and found that many of the puppies were featured on multiple sites and many were now a couple of years old. These people would use anything to get people to send them money, including saying they could ship your puppy and you would have it next day. Then there were hard luck stories but what really amused me most is that most of these websites didn’t use proper English. Why? Because they are foreign scams.

I am not a Craigslist type of person but I decided to look there and maybe find a puppy local that I could go and see. I didn’t haven any luck. Every one I contacted referred me back to one of the scam sites. What these crooks have going is pretty elaborate. They’ve put a lot of thought and effort into this. If they worked that hard on something more honest they would do well.

As a last resort I hit up the classifieds and even pulled up the Grand Rapids classifieds. I live 4 hours north of Grand Rapids but I figured that was my best chance. BINGO! I called and spoke to a very kind woman who was Amish. She explained to me that her puppies were 3/4 English Bulldog and 1/4 Beagle, a Beabull, because it helped to eliminate many issues Bulldogs have. The problem, she was 5 hours south of us.

I decided if I was meant to have this puppy then I had to make it happen. The next day I threw Quinn and Ian’s Girlfriend, Allison in the car and we drove south. We arrived at the most beautiful Amish farm I’ve ever seen. We met a very nice farmer and he showed us the puppies. 2 boys, and they were little monsters. In the few minutes I was there they fought over a boot and ripped it in half. I was disappointed. When I had spoken to his wife she had said she had 4, 2 girls and 2 boys. Someone had adopted one of the girls eariler but he brought out the other. She was EXACTLY what I had literally dreamed of. He charged me more and I didn’t care I found my Godot!

So now we have welcomed Dot into our family. We’ve had her since Thursday and she is smart, funny and a little loveable doll. The CATS! The CATS! You say? Yes, wow what an adjustment. They’re afraid of her including Princess Feral Kitty, who put her seal of approval on Dot with a lick on the forehead. There has a been a little misbehaving but nothing like I had anticipated. We are all adjusting and there will be lots of furbaby posts coming!

What does this have to do with my “How Journey”?  I’m learning to be happy again and Dot has brought much happiness in her short time and 4 lbs to our home.

37 comments for “Waiting For Godot – Dot Has Arrived! #HowJourney

August 22, 2017 at 5:37 am

I have been thinking about getting another dog. My dog brought me so my joy and comfort and now that I don’t have her any more I am lost. I am so happy you found the perfect one. So cute Thank you so much for sharing. God Bless

2. August 22, 2017 at 11:27 am

Linda, I can’t tell you how much joy she’s brought to all of us, but I still miss my Thomas. I will always love him but I’m so ready to lavish love on this little gal.

3. Kristen
    August 22, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Gongratulations on your new family member.
    She is ADORABLE!!!!

I know she’ll bring you so much joy.

4. Sandra Watts
    August 25, 2017 at 1:53 pm

It is horrible all the puppy mills and scams. I am happy you found a nice puppy though.

5. Heather!
    August 25, 2017 at 5:21 pm

I lost my boy last year and am still in mourning. I really look forward to having a dog again, but I know that I am not ready *quite* yet. I totally understand why it took a few years for you to be ready, too. But oh my goodness, is Dot gorgeous!! So sweet! I can’t wait to read about her adventures here on your blog! (Please share pics as she grows!) 🙂

6. Jessica W.
    August 26, 2017 at 2:39 pm

A seal of approval from a cat is hard to get sometimes. Congrats on the new pup!

7. August 27, 2017 at 10:31 am

Aw….Look at that sweet face! Nothing can replace your beloved dog…but this new cutie can certainly help fill the hole in your heart.

8. Linda Madden
    September 2, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Oh he’s so adorable. Good luck with everything.

9. September 4, 2017 at 12:22 am

What a cutie! I’m so happy you decided to open your heart to another dog. We have an Olde English Bulldog and she is amazing you will have many laughs with this breed!

10. Joe
    September 5, 2017 at 4:11 am

cool dog

11. James Robert
    September 9, 2017 at 8:41 am

We have a puppy here that actually belongs to my ex who has the English Bulldog. This you can tell is definitely a lot of bulldog in it. Precious and so happy you found another family member. Have fun and enjoy!

12. September 9, 2017 at 3:56 pm

I am so happy you found a pup that fits your family!

We got our dog through Craig’s List but she was a rescue. The scams are crazy scary.

13. September 13, 2017 at 10:58 am

Oh my goodness….. that is one adorable puppy! Congrats on the new addition to your family!

14. September 13, 2017 at 2:24 pm

What an adorable little baby dog OMG how sweet I’m so happy for you…

15. belinda bell
    September 13, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Your little Dot looks so sweet. I would love to see more pictures.

16. September 14, 2017 at 8:18 am

What an absolute cutie!!! I love having puppies they are so much joy (and a little headache lol). Have a blast with Dot!

17. Ashley Mains
    September 14, 2017 at 5:20 pm

This dog is SUPER cute! 🙂

18. Molli Vandehey-Taylor
    September 16, 2017 at 11:26 am

this makes me so happy, that you have found a great match!

19. denise low
    September 16, 2017 at 6:40 pm

She is just so cute. Thank you for sharing your story.

20. Linda Szymoniak
    September 16, 2017 at 11:37 pm

While I’m glad you found a dog you can love, you can see now why some of us will never buy a dog. My dogs have always been, are now, and always will be rescue dogs. So many of the puppies from the puppy mills and scammers actually end up in shelters anyway. Did you know that between 1/4 to 1/3 of dogs in shelters these day are actually purebred? Of course they likely don’t have their “papers”, but for me that doesn’t matter. I have three Treeing Walker Coonhounds who I adopted from high-kill shelters in NC and SC. Seiji would have been killed the morning I adopted him, had I not had him pulled for me. Nothing wrong with the dogs, but when there are 20 kennels and 50 dogs, they kill. I really hope Dot is the perfect family member for you. I am happy to see you avoided the puppy mills and other on-line dog selling scammers. It’s really sad what is happening there.

21. September 18, 2017 at 9:27 am

Hi Linda,

I’ve never paid for a pet. We’ve always adopted from the humane society here, which thankfully, is a no kill shelter. We even took on a what became our barn feral kitty and her kittens getting them all fixed and finding them homes. 3 of them we kept including mama and socialized to excellent family pets.

All of our dogs in the past have been rescues but our shelters way up here in the north are limited. We only had older dogs and Pit Bulls to pick from and then at the time there were only 4 of those. None of them going to homes with cats.

However, I do admit I had my heart set on an English Bulldog but this was a learning experience for sure. Dot is not papered and will be getting fixed.

I am so glad that you were able to save 2 dogs from your shelter.

22. September 18, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Love the new puppy, I have a jack russell rat terrier mix n he is so smart love him so.

23. Lujuana Miller
    September 20, 2017 at 6:04 am

So very adorable!!! Thank want one like her. Poor thing, how there are puppy mills! Those have got to stop!

24. Trisha McKee
    September 20, 2017 at 11:11 pm

NO WAY!! I HAVE THREE BULLDOGS! They are the BESt breed! I am so so excited for you. My oldest is 12 years old (yes, rare!!) and my youngest is five months! Your puppy is adorable!! Enjoy.

25. September 21, 2017 at 9:58 pm

What a little ball of love! I so wish I didn’t have deadly allergies to dogs.

26. Anita Duvall
    September 23, 2017 at 12:27 am

I love this story. I also just got the puppy bug again after my Shih Tzu was run over. Sheldon the Shih-Tzu has stolen my hear.

27. sherry butcher
    October 3, 2017 at 5:11 pm

I understand completely, been thru the same thing 9 years ago. I have my “Dot” his name is Blackie. Thanks for sharing your lovely story with us.

28. David Smith
    October 11, 2017 at 2:55 am

Aww, what a cute little girl. Reminds me about when we got Sparkie, our Shih Tzu. He is 5 now and we love him just like another kid. Congratulations on your adoption.

29. Lynne B
    October 14, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Congratulations on finding Dot! I’m sure it was worth the trip for you.

30. October 25, 2017 at 11:49 pm

I can’t get over how precious your puppy is.

31. Jaque Richards
    November 8, 2017 at 10:20 pm

So happy you found Dot. I lost my most wonderful boy a while back and never wanted another dog…he was the best dog ever! He was a mutt from the Humane Society but his sole purpose in life was to make his humans happy…so smart, so well behaved. I miss him every day.
    I was visiting a friend who lived in an apartment complex. I heard a woman screaming, berating an animal. As I approached the dumpster area, she was attempting to through a dog inside! I stopped her and she shoved the dog at me. That little pug has been with me for 5 years now. He is nothing like my mutt, but I love him.

32. Michelle C
    November 12, 2017 at 12:27 pm

What a great story! I’m a dog fan, for sure. I love reading about how people find their pets.

33. Melissa Storms
    November 20, 2017 at 1:50 pm

She is beautiful. We got our Zoe about a week before our Australian Shepherd became ill, he was gone within a month. I definitely would have waited if we didn’t already have her, I will always miss our Bear, he was just so special. Zoe is just awesome and full of love.

34. November 26, 2017 at 4:01 pm

I know what it’s like to lose a beloved pet. Right now I’m on the journey of acceptance for the future loss of my Service Dog, Gabe. He has cancer, and we don’t know how long he has, but we are enjoying and embracing every day that we have together.
    Your little Dot is a beauty.

35. Jennifer Boehme
    December 2, 2017 at 1:36 am

He is a freakin’ doll! But the lady fed you a line, you can’t perfect the 3/4 this and 1/4 that to eliminate characteristics. It’s either yes or no, not a portion, she knows this. They have everything passed down in their genes, just raise him proudly and he will be great. I have a puppymill survivor Pug and the things they do and every counties backyard breeder do are horrendous. It has taken me 4 years and my pup is still working with separation anxiety issues.

36. Jacqueline Labrie
    February 9, 2018 at 9:34 pm

My dogs are family. Losing one is heartbreaking and hard to deal with. Sadly there’s no way to get another furbaby exactly like the one you loss. Maybe the same looks. But just like humans, dogs have their own special personalities and quirks. All you and anyone else can do is love and care for them in return you’ll get a best friend for the rest of their lives.
    Adorable Dot

37. Debbie P
    February 24, 2018 at 6:47 pm

I hope all is still going well with your new family member.