Busy Busy Summer – Welcome Fall

This summer was a busy one.  My parents, who live next door are selling their home and there has been a lot of packing and purging.  When the house sells we’re really going to miss just running next door to see them, but on a brighter note they won’t be far away.

I grew up in the home they’re selling and they’ve lived there for 44 years.  The raised a family and created their business there.  It holds a lot of memories and I hope that whomever buys it will make as many great memories with their family and we had.

Also on this Summers agenda was liquidating my father-in-laws possessions, paying his bills and getting his affairs in order.  Please don’t take this as complaining but as a learning experience.  When my father in law passed he had a lot of unsecured debt.  His assets included his trailer and an older vehicle from the 90s (It could be considered an antique!).  He left a will but it was never probated.  Probated means approved and filed with the local court.

We had to hire an attorney, pay his rent (his trailer is in a park) and all of his bills out of our pocket.  Why not just have it all shut off?  Many people recommended this to use but first it’s not the right thing to do.  2nd he died in the winter and it would have ruined his trailer, which is now being enjoyed by another family.

We had an estate sale with his items but he didn’t have a lot and I think over the years he’d gotten rid of a lot of his things.  When the estate sales were done we donated everything.  After fighting with the court my husband was finally appointed the “Personal Representative”, became Michigan doesn’t allow executors (pft).  The court has rules on who gets paid first and they’re at the top of the list.  Then the funeral home, the attorney, reimbursement of us, then his credit cards.  He didn’t have much to begin with and the amount we were able to come up with doesn’t cover everything.  Thankfully, we aren’t responsible and the companies will have to write this off.

“Soap Box Moment” – It’s maddening that the man declared bankruptcy a few years ago and it was a green light for the credit card companies to extend a LOT and by a LOT  I mean $5,000 and up in credit cards.  This is because he can’t claim bankruptcy again and so they start the circle of debt all over again.  It’s a shame and there should be laws.

In between these two events we also had to do some traveling, which I will write about later, but we also had time to go out in the kayaks, just me and the hubby.  Michigan is a beautiful state and no matter where you are here you’re just a little ways from a lake.  We also had a cooler than normal Summer with temps around 70 degrees.  This was perfect weather.

How was your summer?  I enjoy hearing from you!

17 comments for “Busy Busy Summer – Welcome Fall

1. Debra Holloway
    September 24, 2017 at 9:47 am

I love the fall, the air is so crisp and the foliage is beautiful.

2. Sue E
    September 24, 2017 at 9:27 pm

First of all, I am really sorry to hear of your father- n- law’s death!!
    I didn’t care what anyone says, most of us middle class people do not have their affairs in order. If they did, there wouldn’t be any kind of debt left at all! They wouldn’t intentionally do this to their loved ones! And that $250 death stipend from the government is a huge joke!!
    I went through something like this when my mom died and my husband’s mother. Plus they should have all, if any, life insurance papers together. That would definitely help with the funeral arrangements! Their deaths are hard enough!!

3. Linda Madden
    September 24, 2017 at 11:10 pm

In sorry you had so much trouble with your father -in-laws estate. Hope everything is smooth- sailing for you from now on!☺☺

4. September 25, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Sue, I can’t remember the whole blah blah blah from the Social Security office but they didn’t issue us the $250 death stipend. We literally had to sell everything off to get his ashes out of hock from the funeral home.

Another thing that kinda floored me is the cheapest cremation was almost 4k here and we had to make a quick trip to St. Louis and there was an ad up that cremation services were $500. IDK it’s just so much for families to settle.

5. Betty Curran
    September 29, 2017 at 11:35 pm

I work for an insurance company and every day I talk to people who are going through the same thing as you. Often they come across a life insurance policy and think it will help pay for a funeral or cremation only to discover the deceased stopped making payments so there is no coverage. So sad.

6. Lauryn R
    October 9, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Wow, I am so sorry that you had to go through all of this following the passing of your loved one. This is something that I have not had to go through yet, but I can definitely sympathize. Thank you so much for sharing! On another note, my whole family lives in Michigan and I visit there often. It is definitely a beautiful place and I would love to live there one day!

7. Trisha McKee
    October 11, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Oh wow, so sorry about your father in law. And that has to be emotional about your parents moving, even if it is the best. I hope you got to relax a little this summer. I am excited about fall. Love love love this time of year.

8. Geri Sandoval
    October 21, 2017 at 12:17 am

Sorry about your father in law. Moving can be hard, we are moving to a bigger house next month. Really not looking forward to the packing.

9. October 21, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Sorry about your loss. My mom is getting older, and not well. I have a strong feeling she has no will, and will not talk about it. I’m not looking forward to having to grieve, and deal with the mess.

10. Sandra McFadden
    November 6, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Fall is my favorite time of the year. It cools down, the air is crisp and the smells of fall are heavenly to me.

11. Brandy Schwartz
    November 15, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Oh, no! Death is always so hard. You suffer from the loss of the person and then, on top of that, you have to deal with the court system and creditors. Sorry that it has been such a hassle for you.

12. Brandon Sparks
    November 17, 2017 at 6:00 pm

The Fall has to be the best out of all 4 seasons. Everything is just so beautiful in the Fall.

13. Terry
    November 17, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Yes, you did have a busy summer. When my brother passed 3 years ago, he did not have an attorney and I went through a similar situation. This reminds me that I do need to get a will done. So good you got to spend time in the outdoors this summer.

14. Lucy Rapposellii
    November 21, 2017 at 10:44 pm

I just love fall. Love my Bon Fires and a Good Book

November 26, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Michigan is a beautiful state. I was born and raised in Michigan. I moved to Florida when I was 35. I am so sorry you had your hands full during the summer. Fun times are ahead for you and your family. God Bless

16. Susan Broughton
    December 2, 2017 at 8:06 am

I love when Fall comes! The smell in the cool crisp air….love it!

17. denise low
    December 2, 2017 at 5:51 pm

I love the fall the best. I just hate to see winter coming and the snow.