That Was Then This Is Now #HowJourney

2015 was a struggle for our family, I thought 2016 HAD to be better. 2016 was horrid for our family, I thought 2017 HAD to be better. 2017 Came and went and it was a struggle, but I learned I HAVE to make it better or 2018 will follow the years past. I’m not a resolution maker but last year I made myself a 2017 bucket list. I’m super proud to say I accomplished many of the things that were most important to me.

In 2016 I truly believed I was broken. That I could not pick myself up one. more. time. I was WRONG! I could pick myself up but I had to do something that was truly difficult, I had to accept help. I was stuck on stupid with a hamster wheel in my head constantly spinning. I hated me. Not myself just me. How can that be? I consider myself a kind and caring human being, I like that about myself, but ME had issues. I had constant migraines, I was fat, I was tired all the time, I was taking care of everything but me because I didn’t like me.

I’m not perfect and shit happens, shit happens a lot, but instead of taking it personal and thinking that I in some way caused it with ME, I have been working through the issues. It’s not easy and I still fall back to I hate me at times but I’m doing better.

Why should you care? You don’t have to and quite honestly, if you have negative things to say I don’t care, but I do hope that with all the postings of my How Journey that it will help someone. That someone might see these things happening to someone else and give them a hand up. Asking for help is the hardest thing I’ve ever done.

God put us on this earth to be helpmates to one another, not to achieve life and success alone. While it can be done, it will make your success less satisfying and you’ll more than likely be alone in the world.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that had my greatest friend from The Five Fish, Karie Herring, I wouldn’t have made it the last year. It’s been a struggle to write, if the words aren’t there they just aren’t there, and sometimes we need a shove. Sometimes you need to jump into the middle of the pool to get wet.

For 2018, I pledge to continue working on my bucket list. I pledge to be kind to ME and those around me. I also pledge to be the best wife, mother, daughter, and blogger I can be, while staying true to myself and asking for help.

What are your 2018 goals?

26 comments for “That Was Then This Is Now #HowJourney

1. Rebekah Thompson
    January 15, 2018 at 11:20 am

My 2018 goals are: 1. Get my kids back every other week 2. Get some dental work and 3. Go to the eye doctor and more

2. January 15, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Hi Rebekah,
    Those are very real goals. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Do you have insurance for the dental and eye appointments? If not there may be local organizations that can help you. I know a dentist in our area that has free dental clinics as his way of giving back once a month. Thoughts and prayers for your goals and journey Rebekah!

3. Kim Pincombe-Cole
    January 15, 2018 at 6:11 pm

Sounds like a perfect plan!

January 16, 2018 at 3:16 pm

I will be praying for you. I know how it is not to really like yourself. I feel that way about me. I am having a hard time getting myself moving in the right direction. Thank you so much for sharing. God Bless

5. Cindy B
    January 17, 2018 at 1:40 am

Asking for help is hard to do! It’s something I need to do more often, too. I hope 2018 will be much better for you as you continue on you journey.

6. MD Kennedy
    January 17, 2018 at 11:36 am

Nothing like putting it out there to make you stick to your goals. I wish you all the best luck in achieving what you need to!

7. Jeri Bergstrom
    January 22, 2018 at 10:56 am

I’m going to make decisions without angst.

8. Helen
    January 28, 2018 at 2:10 am

I like the being kind to each other. I too want to be nice and help people when I can this year.

9. Sarah L
    January 30, 2018 at 6:16 pm

I think it is a sign of strength to be able to ask for help. I did and I am much better for it.

10. Esperanza Gailliard
    January 30, 2018 at 11:40 pm

Oh my 2018 goals are to read more and make some new friends.

11. Judith Watson
    February 2, 2018 at 6:10 pm

I’m glad that things are getting better for you. I hope they continue to do so, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

12. Karen Jaras
    February 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm

I try each year to make things better than the last but I keep getting tested. So much pain, loss and sorrow. It is hard to pick up and keep going.

13. Sheri Newell Anderson
    February 11, 2018 at 1:20 pm

I’m trying to be more patient with my husband who tends to do things on the spur of the moment without consulting with me, so hard!

14. Sandi McGinnis
    February 13, 2018 at 9:14 pm

That’s what ringing in the new Year is all about.Leaving all the bad behind and being able to stare fresh,making the new year better.

15. February 14, 2018 at 2:16 pm

I’m trying to be more present, more authentic. In a sense in some instances less polite if real hard truths are called for. Be well!

Also, read “This is How” by Augusten Burroughs

16. Jodi Hunter
    February 20, 2018 at 2:13 pm

Incredible Post.

February 21, 2018 at 6:18 am

Hoping for you that 2018 will be a terrific year. I have had a few really bad years also and I am working on this year to be more peaceful and much better then previously!

18. Debbie P
    February 22, 2018 at 5:26 pm

I truly know how you feel. And I hope 2018 is being a lot kinder to you!

19. Linda Madden
    February 25, 2018 at 2:16 pm

I’m sorry to hear of you difficulties. I have a very hard time asking for help also. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope 2018 will be great for you.

20. Lucy Rapposelli
    March 2, 2018 at 1:00 pm

Great post. Thank you for sharing

21. Lauryn R
    March 12, 2018 at 8:10 pm

I am hoping that 2018 will be a better year for us as well. I have decided to keep my goals simple and just stay in better touch with family and friends.

22. Trisha McKee
    March 14, 2018 at 12:12 am

Those are beautiful bucket list items. I had some rough years and finally in 2016 it started to improve. I worked hard to get things done – to push that improvement. Not easy. And while things are so much better, they aren’t always perfect. That just means I have to keep working and not give up.

23. Donna Jacoby
    April 7, 2018 at 12:23 pm

I know life throws everything at you sometimes and it’s all too easy to feel as though you are drowning. Thank you for sharing this as I was in need of seeing this post today. I hope it helps to know that you assisted someone you never met with your thoughts and feelings when it was needed.

24. Jodi Hunter
    April 7, 2018 at 6:10 pm

Incredible Post, Thanks.

April 10, 2018 at 4:08 pm

My favorite verse is “I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me” I can’t do anything on my own and do it right. I understand exactly how you feel. I have felt this way several times in my life. Keep your chin up and love who God created you to be. God Bless

26. vickie couturier
    April 12, 2018 at 10:08 am

your post was inspiring to me,,2016 was horrible for me as well and then next year was even worse and this year it has gotten some better,,i had to just give up the things that were bothering me,,it hurt but they way they treated me hurt worse,,