Finding Out Who Your Friends Really Are

I have not been blessed with great friends, until now.  At 48, I’m learning what real friendship means.  I have learned that when I need something I need to ask, because others aren’t mind readers.  I have learned that the person/people that go an extra mile for you are TRUE friends to be treasured.

I have always thought thought that in friendship, it’s better to give than receive.  That, trying to help others was the most important thing.  Never did I dream that I had to open up, that I had to get to the end of my rope and think to myself, I must beg someone to help me.  Only, I had it wrong!  I didn’t have to beg, I needed only to ask.

Karie, from the Five Fish and I have known each other a decade now.  We haven’t been close those 10 years, until about 4 years ago when we joined forces to achieve new successes and to move on from the stereotypical “mom blog” title.  And this opened my world to the gift of having a real friend.  One that listens while you cry and offers comfort, one that isn’t afraid to call you out when you’re being less than kind, one that calls just to say hi, and one that would move heaven and earth for you.

(Beware a little geekness below)

Networking Witches is 10 years old, and for most of those years I’ve had Hostgator as a host company.  One day in March my site wouldn’t work right.  People weren’t seeing the site any more and I had changed nothing.  Hostgator said I was taking up to much room on their server.  I sent emails, I waited untold hours in their chat and I even tried calling them.  After taking my money for an upgrade and my quarterly rent they said they didn’t have a plan to accommodate me any longer.  WTH!  It was weeks.

I went to Karie, who swears by Dreamhost.  I signed up and started a back up of my 3 websites, and prepare them to move.  People, let me just say right here, pick the right host to begin with because you NEVER want to go through this.  At no time was I endanger of losing all of my posts because I back up the system but it was truly a tough project.  And after fighting with Hostgator and the stress of the site being down I snapped.  I called Karie in tears, not for any other reason than pure frustration.

Karie, dropped what she was doing and for DAYS migrated my sites to their new home.  Coming up, Networking Witches was a bit wonky, and had to have some new plugins and widgets but it finally came up.  Karie, had done it.  She did it with out my help because looking in the new dashboard at Dreamhost was like trying to learn a new language to me.

So this post is to tell my readers that I’m back up and running, that friendship, true friendship, is deeper than you doing for others, it’s about allowing others to do for you, and finally it’s to let my readers know what happened.

12 comments for “Finding Out Who Your Friends Really Are

1. Katie Bellamy
    May 19, 2018 at 3:05 pm

So important to have at least ONE real, good friend! 🙂

2. MD Kennedy
    June 5, 2018 at 4:43 pm

You are so lucky to have someone who has your back. I wish I did as well.

3. Lauryn R
    June 7, 2018 at 11:09 pm

That is so awesome that you have such a great friend! I have just a few that will always be there for me no matter what, even if years have past since we have seen each other. 🙂 It means so much!

4. Debra Holloway
    June 15, 2018 at 7:10 pm

You are truly blessed to have a really good friend such as this. I myself have few really good friends but these few are marvelous. I am glad to hear you are back up and running.

5. June S.
    June 20, 2018 at 6:36 am

(Finding Out Who Your Friends Really Are) Wow! I tell my twenty-nine year old daughter about this fact all the time. You do learn in life who your true and close friends really are the older you get in life. The ones that you can really trust. If their is one thing that I have learned about other women working in a factory setting is that they can be very catty and vindictive to get their way. Will stab you in the back in a heart beat to impress others and belittle you in any manner that they can. Many of them were brown noser’s too. Women should support each other, not try to hurt one another. I have a couple of handful of really close friend that have always been there for me. 🙂

6. Melissa Storms
    June 30, 2018 at 9:09 am

This is truly heartwarming. It is as important to receive in a friendship as it is to give, that can be hard to accept for certain personality like myself. I have several true friends and all of these relationships are as much take as give.

7. ellen beck
    June 30, 2018 at 10:38 am

Karie really is a kind soul as are you. I have known you both via online forever. I have been a terrible online friend, but it seems things keep changing and I dont have the time I once did :/ I would love to have more time to just talk but comment after comment here and there prevents it- you know the drill. I dont have time to visit the places I would love to.

July 1, 2018 at 5:46 am

This is awesome. Nothing like a great friend who is there for good and bad. I am glad you are back up and running.

9. Debbie Welchert
    July 1, 2018 at 1:14 pm

So glad to hear that you are up and running with the help of your friend. Friends can sure make a lot of difference in your life….

10. July 3, 2018 at 9:59 am

It is always good to have a friend you can count on. Thanks for sharing your story.

11. Christy Peeples DuBois
    July 6, 2018 at 4:04 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I’m not good at asking other myself so I can always use this reminder. I am sorry you were put through this tragic event however my heart smiles at your true blue(just what I call a true friend) friendship.

12. Denise Low
    July 7, 2018 at 5:25 pm

Thank you for sharing. I have one great friend. To me there is no other one like her.